Black mould or any other mould for that matter is harmful. Fortunately, there are many different ways to get rid of this household menace.
Most of these solutions use everyday household products that you probably already have. Please remember, the rule of thumb for do it yourself mould removal is if the mould is 10 square feet or less in size. If it is larger than that, you may want to consider hiring a professional.
Kill Mould with Bleach
Probably the most thought of solution when considering how to get rid of mould.
Bleach-Water Solution (1 part bleach to 16 parts water) for non porous surfaces.
Bleach-Detergent solution (1 part household detergent, 10 parts bleach, and 20 parts water) for porous surfaces.
Spray or apply with a rag. Wait five minutes, and then scrub with a hard brush but be careful not to scratch or destroy the material that you are trying to protect. Wipe clean with a damp rag.
Bleach is toxic so keep the room well ventilated when applying.
Get Rid of Mould with Vinegar
Vinegar is a natural alternative to bleach or other strong chemicals. It is not toxic.
Distilled white synthetic vinegar (straight, not diluted with water).
Spray or apply with a rag. Wait 10-15 minutes, then spray or apply again and scrub with a hard brush. Be careful not to scratch or destroy the material that you are trying to protect. Wipe clean with a damp rag.
Strong odour, but will dissipate in a couple of hours.
Banish Mould with Baking Soda
Baking Soda is a convenient solution to mould problems. It is inexpensive, helps prevent future mould growth, and deodorizes.
Baking Soda-Detergent Solution: 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon mild liquid detergent
Baking Soda-Water Solution: ¼ to ½ tablespoon baking soda to 1 litre water.
Spray area thoroughly and wipe with rag or scrub with appropriate semi-abrasive brush. Wipe away. Spray lightly again with the baking soda-water solution and dry thoroughly.
No strong fumes or odours, non-toxic, and safe for the environment.
No more Mould with Borax
Borax is the best solution for permanent mould removal. It is natural, inexpensive, and doesn’t produce toxic fumes. It is also effective at killing germs. It is safe to use on all materials, both porous and non-porous.
1 cup of Borax to 4 litres of water
Apply the solution carefully without using too much on any porous material that absorbs water, as this will saturate the material and cause other moisture problems. Scrub area with rag or somewhat abrasive material, such as a scrub brush. Wipe area clean and dry the area. No need to rinse the area because borax inhibits any new growth.
Don’t consume, otherwise safe.